With summer holidays finally here there will be a lot of you heading out either exploring the local areas or going further a field on a summer holiday.
Unfortunately, some people won’t have checked their car before they have set off on their travels and with the weather changing over the year, the effects of winter could still be taking their toll.
Before setting off on your trip make sure you check certain elements so that you’re not left on the hard shoulder in the British summer rain!
- Tyre tread and pressures – The legal minimum tread on your tyres is 1.6mm, anything below that on any part of your tyres and not only is your car unsafe but it is illegal. Manufacturers recommend different tyre pressure dependant on season and the load in the car, so take a look at your car’s manual to find out what pressure you should be running at.
- Lights and bulbs – Although the summer evenings are longer and the mornings are brighter you still need to check that all of your lights are working. Check all your lights from headlights, side lights, indicators back to your brake lights and reversing lights. It is also a good idea to keep spare bulbs in the car in case of an emergency.
- Oil – keep your car running smoothly so checking your cars oil levels are essential to having a reliable car. Consult your cars manual to see how to check for oil levels, we can always help you re-fill your cars oil to make sure you don’t grind to a halt.
- Windcreen washer fluid & Radiator – Top up your windscreen washer fluids and radiator water levels. You don’t want to be driving through a windscreen full of bugs!
- Battery – One of the main reasons for cars breaking down is linked to their battery. We can check your batteries health to make sure it’s running properly.